Sunday, March 16, 2008

Liar, Liar...

... pants on fire.

When I said I was going to pack up my wheel for a bit and take a break, I really did have good intentions. In my defense, it did stay packed up for a few days. Perhaps part of the burnout I was feeling with the wheel was because of my selling (or rather not selling) yarn on Etsy. I don't want to run a business selling handspun yarns, but I would like to be able to sell off some of them here and there to make enough to support my fiber habit, rather than putting extra strain on my family's income.

So, last weekend I was contemplating just going through the next few months until the listings on my yarns expired and then just kind of forgetting about it, when I came home last Saturday night to find that my Indian Valley sock yarn had sold. I was overly-excited about it to say the least. It was my first sale, and it felt very nice.

Charged with new enthusiasm, the wheel quickly came out again to produce more sock yarn and I have celebrated this week with knitting a sock from some of my own hanspun. The spinning job on this yarn was great, but I didn't like the way the colors worked together, so I kept it. It's still pretty.



I knitted this one from the toe up, to make sure I wouldn't run out of yardage. This sock yarn makes an extremely cozy, winter appropriate sock. Though now I'm affected by a combined version of second sock syndrome: not only do I have to knit the second sock, but I still have to spin the yarn for it as well. I'm confident it will be well worth it once it's done.

So, as far as the spinning goes, I have spun half of the yarn I need for my next listing and I ought to have the other half of it done by the end of the week. I haven't made my mind up about what to name this colorway, but I figure it ought to be something nautical (while thinking of nautical names I had a good laugh about the coincidental resemblance of this yarn to the team colors of the Seattle Mariners- it could make nice socks for a baseball fan).



So I'm hoping to have this one listed very soon on Etsy and soon to follow that will be a beautiful fiery-colored sock yarn.

This next week or two I'm also going to be spending some time working on more unfinished objects, and have even more knitting stacked on my plate once I've finished what's already in progress. I'm hoping to finish a sweater I'm working on for Paige as well as finishing the ugly christmas sweater once and for all. It's amazing how easily I get distracted.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

hehe, congratulations on selling your handspun yarn, that's wonderful!!! Also, just a thought, maybe if you stopped calling it your "ugly" christmas sweater, you would want to finish it :) Call if the most beautiful awesomest christmas sweater in the world, and you'd be all over it! :P hehe, Happy Knitting!!

Maureen said...

hmm I haven't heard of the method with the crochet hook, I'll have to figure that out. I found out it is also called the "invisible" cast on, which I used to make the little devil hat, but it was hard for me to keep track of how many stiches I had done, so I'm going to check out the crochet method you mentioned, it might be easier, thanks for the tips.

Yeah everyone has been sick, I've been slumpy, but Rick has been down right nasty for about 2.5 months and Genevieve is just getting over the Croup. Even my mum is really sick. When I was in Korea, everyone was really sick over there too, I guess it is just going around. I hope you guys get better as well ;) We miss you over here, we'll have to come up sometime and see you guys.