Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Enjoying the calm...

Last Friday my daughter Paige started preschool.

She's starting in the middle of the school year because back in September my husband and I were in mutual agreement that she was going to be home-schooled. However, my husband has recently been looking at a possible career change and if he does change jobs, it means that our family will be packing up, selling our home and moving to a small town about 50 miles away from where we are now.

On one hand, the school will probably be a bit less challenging (which is not a problem, because we are still going to work with her at home all the time to make sure she's getting a well-rounded education), but on the other hand, the school will be a far safer environment, likely to have much fewer social pressures and complications, as this small town is very friendly (the kind of town where people still go out of their way to be friendly and helpful to both neighbors and strangers alike). So we've decided it would be best for her to go to school, so that she can be around other children.

I really thought that this separation for a couple of hours three times a week was going to be very hard for me. With the exception of the hours I was gone when I was still working, I've been taking care of Paige non-stop, 24 hours a day, since the day she was born. But I have to say, I am enjoying the time that I'm alone far more than I imagined I would. I'm beginning to treasure it.

When she's in school, I come home and walk all the dogs. I read, or do some housework, and for this little bit of time a few days a week, it's totally quiet. I love it. This morning I went out with the dogs and walked just under 3 miles, and it was so beautiful. It was crisp and chilly, the way it usually is near the end of winter or in early spring, but the sun was warm on my face and the air was so fresh. It was just lovely. I have to admit, I really am not the kind of person who is nutty about gardening, but I almost want to right now. Just so I can have an excuse to be outside.

I think maybe I'll take Paige to the playground when she gets out of preschool, just so I can enjoy the sun a little bit longer.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Where would you guys be moving to? Out west?