Friday, February 8, 2008

One down...

One to go.

What I ended up with is completely different from what I imagined before I began, but nice none-the-less. I mentioned in my previous blog that I was aiming for 'sea nymph' and in my defense, that's very much what the singles looked like on the bobbins, but when I plied those singles together, I got something completely autumnal instead.



The rust really dominated the burgundy (which became mostly brown anyways). It turned out lovely just the same. I must remember that this is a learning experience- this was the first time I tried to dye wool using this method.

I am going to call this color combination 'Indian Valley' because it reminds me of all the colors there in the fall: deep browns, bright oranges and lots of green with all the evergreens we have here in Washington state.



The only thing I was disappointed in was the yardage. This is 2 ounces of merino and I fell short of my 200 yard goal by almost 25 yards. Though, I have to say this came out so nice I don't really want to spin it any thinner. As a 3-ply it came out at approximately 17wpi. I'm strongly considering dividing my roving into 2.5 ounce segments per skien to get the yardage I'd like instead. I hope to have any skien of sock yarn that I make for the purpose of selling to be at least enough to knit one average-size sock.

I anticipate (realistically) to be done with the second skien by the end of this next week. I think I need to take a couple of days off from the wheel... My eyes are getting twitchy.

No comments: