Saturday, April 4, 2009

WIP: Koolhaas

Most weekend mornings when I get up, I pour myself a cup of coffee, sit down at my wheel and spin until I'm good and ready to get into the shower. This morning, however, I'm enjoying a little change of pace.



It's a Koolhaas in progress and I'm really enjoying this knit. The yarn is Pigeonroof Studios Siren 2 Worsted in Oxblood, which is a much springier yarn than I thought it would be (the twist in this yarn is insanely tight) but it's proving to be a great choice for this pattern on account of it's excellent stitch definition.



Up to now I haven't really been the hat-knitting sort of person, but as I don't get to knit as much as I'd like to these days, I'm growing fonder of patterns that require a little less yarn and can be completed in just a few days.

Another thing I like about this hat is the stitch pattern, which has kept me interested but is still easy to memorize (a perfect combination for me as I lose interest quickly with too-simple patterns and don't have time to work on anything more involved at the moment). This hat has been just the ticket.

I do have one spinning project currently underway, which is a merino roving I've been spinning for the Funky Junkies handspun swap on Ravelry (I expect to finish that one today), then I think I'm going to pull out some hand dyed SW merino in Albatross that I purchased from CMF (I love starting new spinning projects). =)

Oh, and I'm dyeing my way through 4 pounds of fiber for the shop. I'll make a little announcement before the next update.

3 comments:

blackmustard said...

That's a beautiful hat! I wish I could pull off hats - I've knit a couple but they just don't do it for me. This pattern is great though, and I love the subtle color play in that yarn.

I've got some CMF Albatross too that I'm planning to dive into soon, once I finish a big custom job I'm working on. We should have a little mini spin along :) Also, as soon as I've got some PayPal to play with I'm going to try some of your dyed fiber - it looks amazing!

Thanks for your comments on my blog as well - they're much appreciated :)

woolamina said...

Ooooh, a mini spin-a-long sounds like fun!! Count me in. =)

Amelia of Ask The Bellwether said...

I saw a guy on the PT-Whidbey Ferry wearing one of these hats this last weekend -- I *knew* it was from a knitting pattern somewhere ... thanks!

(his was green tones, but yarn like yours)