Thursday, January 3, 2008

Getting it together...


I suppose I am like most Americans in that whenever a new year rolls in, I always make a plan of how I'm going to 'get it together'. Though now after several years of this I'm beginning to notice that every year I seem to be managing to lose 'it' a little bit more. I'm not sure what my problem is, but I am hoping that something will manage to fall into place.

This year I will be turning 28 years old, which isn't bothering me at all. (For the record I'm planning on living 120 years, at least- which, I guess, means that this year the french fries and Mexican food are probably going to have to go.) What is bothering me is that I seem to remember at one time being able to handle life and all that comes with it much better than I am now.

I can remember a time when I was fully able to keep up with everything that I needed to do-
the cooking, cleaning, laundry, bill paying and grocery shopping, and all of this on top of working a full-time job. Then my husband and I had our daughter, and I took ten months off from work and was still managing to keep up with everything.

Then I went back to work and with the baby & husband, home and part-time job, things kind of teetered on the edge for a while, until the knitting came. As much as it hurts for me to admit this to myself I know that's when the house and yard took a major hit. I never imagined that such a simple craft, which was originally intended to be a hobby to keep myself busy while my hubby gamed online in his off time, would overtake my senses. Over the last 3 years my poor house has gradually fallen into a sad state of disorganized disrepair and I have become a much better knitter.

Times have changed a bit, and in September I put in my notice at work and exchanged it for the role of a stay-at-home mom. In my time at home I've gradually been flirting with all of the work that needs to be done around here, and while I have accomplished a few of the larger tasks on my list there is still an overwhelming amount of work to be done. The hard part for me, will be remembering how do get it all done a little bit at a time. Finding something each day that needs to be done and then doing it. It sounds so easy.

This year I'm going to have to pull myself together and re-learn how to manage my time efficiently and find some balance in life. The knitting will happen in and over time, but the house can't wait any longer.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

you have some gorgeous pictures on your blog. Really nice :D