Monday, January 7, 2008

Moving right along...

I'm going to make this one short and sweet because I really ought to be sleeping and not blogging. I finished the first half of the first mitten, which is exciting because now you can see what the pattern looks like. Pretty in a simple kind of way and not bad for only getting in a little knitting time this evening. For me the design brings back memories that are almost a little bit punk rock.



A portion of my afternoon was spent dying some pretty silk roving I bought when I was out with my lovely friend Maureen (who just knit her first hat-which turned out beautifully) and sitting at the wheel while the silk steamed. I finished filling the bobbin with the grey stuff...



And then Navajo plied it, and bathed it, and here it is hanging up to dry.



Then this, is my first try at dying any kind of roving. I'm liking the colors. I'm excited to see how it will spin up once it's dry.



If the yarn is even 3/4 as pretty as this stuff looks, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it.


And last but not least, those terribly, terribly wrong weather people lied about my precious snow again. It's cold, very cold, but unfortunately not white.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

oooooh HOT!!! I love the gloves, I think you are doing such an awesome job, especially since you are just "making" them. It's amazing. I like the colors you are dying the silk too, I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

Well, we didn't talk much about moving to California because it wasn't finalized and indeed things did get messed up quite a bit. The whole move is kind of temporary, kind of permanent depending on how you look at it. The school is a year and a half but I do have to return back here (to Washington) because this is my duty station. So we would definitely be back! So we'll see what happens in the meantime. (I'll keep knitting, hehe :D)

Amelia of Ask The Bellwether said...

the dye looks terrific :-) can't wait to see it all spun up!