Monday, January 28, 2008

Some Like it Cold

I'm so excited. It finally snowed. There may be a good deal more of it on the way, too.



I took these pictures before work this morning while I was waiting for the Jeep to warm up. It was almost 8:00 and very, very cold.

Back in September, I quit my job working for my Mom-in-Law (a lovely lady and a very close friend) who owns a local drive-through espresso stand. I had been a barista for the last 6 years or so and though I still love coffee passionately, I became intensely burned out with my job. Working with family is mostly great, and I was always treated very well, but somehow I always ended up (with the exception of one weekly morning shift) working nights. It became hard on our family when my husband started driving truck and working a very early shift (he's up between 3 and 4:00 in the morning and goes to bed between 7 and 8:00 at night). It got to the point where we felt like we were only seeing each other one day a week. After a couple years of it something had to change, so I quit to stay at home and take care of our daughter. Things are a lot less stressful now and the house, though still a work in progress, is much cleaner.

Still, every once in a while there's an "emergency" and I get called in to work a shift or (as the case was today) to cover for a few hours. I'm not sure I would have worked if I new how slick and frightening the roads were going to be.

At least I'm already back home and getting to enjoy this.



It is so beautiful. I'll be able to enjoy it a lot more now that I know I wont have to go anywhere else in it for a while. I'm going to stay home and finish up the Zigzag (for real this time). All I have left is the sleeve cap on the second sleeve and then seaming it in after it's blocked. I'm ecstatic!

On another note, Saturday I was able to spend a few hours getting a lesson on dying fiber with Amelia from The Bellwether. Her blog, which you can find here is most informative and helpful. I've turned to it many, many times when I've hit bumps in the road with my spindling, wheel spinning, or pretty much any fiber-related problem I've had. So, of course I really like getting to spend time with her where I get to learn from her one on one. I also love getting to see her beautiful hand-spun yarns, some of which are available here. One time after a spinning lesson with her, she showed me some beautiful hand-spun boucle that still haunts me whenever I sit down to my wheel. So, thanks to Amelia, my Saturday was pretty great!

Well, the knitting (and laundry) is calling, so I'd better get moving.

Here's a cute picture of my dog, Boone. I was holding a piece of bacon for him, trying to get him to look at the camera and I was lucky enough to get this picture of him mid-wink. He'll wink for anyone with bacon.


1 comment:

Maureen said...

Boone so funny. I can't stop thinking about how Paige says "Boone, put your strawberry away..." Oliver has his strawberry out about 80% of the time... all he has to do is start breathing and it comes out. It has been developing into a lot of jokes lately. Poor dog.