Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mittens...

These mittens are giving me a tick. I have never made a pair of mittens before, and I'm not working from a pattern. It also doesn't help that I've had little or no time to knit for the last few days, since finishing the Knitting Pure and Simple Children's Neckdown Bolero for Paige.
















I'm happy with the way it turned out, especially when considering that I knit it with inexpensive yarn (Lion Cotton-Ease). It looks very cute on Paige, and the patterns was so simple (I guess that's why they call it Knitting Pure and Simple) that I breezed right through it joyfully.

But these Mittens. I'm way too picky of a person to be knitting on the fly. I keep changing my mind as I go and ripping back and ripping and ripping. The first cast on I began working in a K2 P2 ribbing for the cuff and then I decided I didn't like it and I ripped that back. The next was a K4 P1 ribbing and it took me almost no time to decide that I didn't like that one either. Rip. This was try #3





















It was okay. I worked the cuff in K2 P1 ribbing (aha! just right- for me, anyways) than began working the color pattern, which was coming along okay until I realized that it was too tight and these mittens, if finished as such, would be hand-numbing, tourniquet-style mittens. Rip. So I went up a needle size and ended up flipping the colors from the way I did them before, and this is all I've got at the moment.




















I'm not unhappy. They fit on my hands comfortably now, and I think I like the light Celtic knot on top of the dark background better than the reverse. The Celtic knot chart came from a pattern I found online ages ago, called 'Matt's Socks' designed (I believe) by a Catherine Devine which I haven't been able to find again. I've looked quite a bit and it seems to be a ghost now. I haven't knit the socks yet, but I thought that little design would look good on the back of some mittens.


Tomorrow, I think I'm going to need a break from the mittens. I'm going to turn my attention to my spinning wheel and make some more of this...
















I honestly don't remember what this is. I was not paying close attention when I bought it. Whatever it is, it's making a nice Navajo-plied, worsted weight yarn. I'm enjoying spinning it, though I don't know what it's going to become when it's done.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get to spin while watching the snow fall outside.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Yay!! The sweater is done!!! I'll have to get the pattern from you so I can do one for Genevieve. I did finish the hat a couple days ago. I finished the head part the next day after I saw you. Then I made the pompom and the second try didn't come undone as well as one ear flap. Which by the way I found to be difficult since I could not figure out how to pick up stitches, but I figured it out, so I guess I'll have to post the pics for you to see.