Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm glad I can say...

I finally got some good knitting in this weekend.

The first of the Madder Ribbed Socks (from Knitting Vintage Socks- one of my favorite books) for the knit-a-long is done and it fits perfectly. I worked it as the pattern directs, except I substituted a French heel instead of the Dutch heel (which I'm not very fond of- they don't fit my foot very well) and I worked a flat toe instead of a pointed (for the same reason). The ribbing of this pattern is wonderful as it hugs the leg perfectly and the y
arn was like falling in love. This Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn is gorgeous. The exact color of the yarn wasn't really labeled on the band, but from what I can tell from looking online, this color is called 'Indian Summer'. It almost looks pink in some of the photographs I've taken, but to the eye it's all rust, brown and tan with little flecks here and there of bright red. I think I loved it so much because I used to wear these colors all the time as they're some of the few colors out there that 'work' for me, but at some point I must have gotten out of the habit of buying them. Right now I think I have only one sweater that's a chocolate shade of brown.

At least I now know what color(s) to look for when I start a new sweater.



The night I finished the sock, I took out my Spin-Dizzy (also purchased from The Bellwether ) and I spun up a little more silk. This little bit came out of the darker of the two batches. I had a terrible time trying to photograph it to where you could see the colors and this was the best I could get (against my pale-blue kitchen counter).



It has a little bit of pink and a lot of purple with peacock shades of green and blue. But as you can see, I didn't get much spinning done because...

Yesterday, I finally turned my attention back to the Zigzag. As of last night I had half of a sleeve and by the end of today I hope to have the other half. I'm optimistic about it and I figure I ought to have the sweater finished in 3-4 days. If for some stupid reason I do finish the sleeves and then decide to put off sewing them in, I hope some kind
ly soul will come up and slap some sense into me. After all, I think I finished knitting the body of this sweater almost a year ago.



At least I have my ever-thinning wardrobe and the cold weather motivating me to get it done.

P. S. This is the first mitten after washing and blocking. My color-work is still a little shoddy but it is only my second fair isle project. I'm not disappointed.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Good work, lady!!!! Yay!!

Maureen said...

hehe, you're awesome! Thanks for the comments, and thanks for teaching me how to knit :D I REALLY like it.